Are you looking for some of the best cancer hospitals in Europe? If yes, then you have landed on the right page. Here we have compiled a list of top European cancer treatment hospitals.
According to the World Health Organisation statistics, Europe has approximately one–fourth of the worldwide cancer cases despite having only one–eighth of the population. It has been estimated that there are 3.7 million new patients each year, constituting a high mortality burden.
While that’s huge, you must also know that Europe is the home to one of the best technologically advanced centers in the world, where comprehensive cancer treatment and diagnosis are very much possible.
This article will introduce you to the top 10 cancer hospitals in Europe sorted based on distance so that you can select the one closest to your dwelling area without needing to travel.
10 Best Cancer Hospitals in Europe
Also Read: 50 Happy New Year Greetings for Love in 2023
1. Vall D’Hebron Institute of Oncology, Spain
- Vall D’Hebron Institute of Oncology is a leading Comprehensive Cancer Centre in Spain, recognized as one of the most technologically advanced centers in the world.
- It houses a multi-disciplinary team that works together to develop targeted treatments against cancer for all patients and works on a dynamic model to translate the most recent treatment discovered in their clinical practice to advance the benefits to the patients.
- The hospital has four research teams, which specialize in preclinical research, clinical research, translational research, and core technologies, with the help of which insights such as cancer genomics, proteomics, and molecular oncology are used to design unique treatment protocols.
- Hebron is a cancer treatment center in Spain providing additional facilities such as a recreational center, spa, and salon for cancer patients so they can feel well–adjusted within the hospital setting.
- Radiomics, the response of the tumor to the treatment, targeted therapies, and mechanisms of treatment resistance, as well as the study of genes, functional analysis of the tumor, and gene expression analysis, are some of the techniques used by the hospital for the treatment of different types of cancer including hematological cancer, central nervous system tumors, sarcomas and even cancers of unknown primary site group.
Address: Centro Cellex, Carrer de Nazaret, 115-117, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Also Read: 50 Best Inspirational Fighting Cancer Quotes
2. Spanish National Cancer Research Center, Spain
- Spanish National Cancer Research Center is one of the best cancer treatment centers in Europe, having the most technologically advanced treatments and highly accomplished staff.
- The center aims to remove cancer from all the districts of Spain by formulating efficient approaches for its diagnosis, treatment, and prevention.
- They engage in cutting–edge clinical trials covering areas of molecular oncology, human cancer genetics, and experimental therapeutics to offer the best possible treatments to each patient.
- They are also involved in pharmaceutical discovery, which is used for designing new treatments and drug agents.
- Being listed among the top 10 cancer centers in the world, the quality of treatment offered at the Spanish National Cancer
- Research Centre is highly advanced, benefitting thousands of patients who receive treatment each year.
- Their ongoing research in pediatric tumor treatments enables them to come forward as one of the best treatment centers in Europe for cancers in children, neonates, and adolescents.
Address: Calle de Melchor Fernández Almagro, 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Also Read: 10 Best Cancer Hospitals in California
3. Comprehensive Cancer Center, Akh Vienna General Hospital, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
- The Comprehensive Cancer Center of Vienna brings together oncology experts from different parts of Europe to design innovative treatment protocols for each patient.
- The hospital has the most significant radiation–oncology unit in Austria, which provides tailored treatment to patients for all types of cancer.
- One of the critical features of the hospital is that it manages to treat most patients on an outpatient basis enabling their capacity to have regular daily functioning.
- At the Vienna hospital, the most complex machines are used for aiming ionized radiation at the highest degree of precision and accuracy to reduce the patient’s disease-related symptoms and improve the patient’s quality of life by minimizing side effects.
- Some advanced options at the center include teletherapy and brachytherapy targeting the tumor site.
Address: Währinger Gürtel 18-20, 1090 Wien, Austria
Also Read: 10 Best Cancer Hospitals in Pune
4. Institut Gustave Roussy, France
- Institut Gustave Roussy in France is a European cancer center that is a premier for patient treatment and research.
It has been featured as one of the most technologically advanced centers in the world, holding the prestigious position of number 20.
- The hospital has a staff of over 3000 members, including more than 200 doctors and 300 researchers who work together to design novel treatment protocols for each patient.
- They have an experience of over 70 years in the treatment of cancer and can handle complicated cases like highly metastasized tumors and pediatric cancer cases.
- The center uses molecular medicine, anti-tumor immunology, DNA repair, and translational research to treat rare types of cancers like adenocarcinoma of the salivary glands, myelodysplastic syndromes, chronic myelomonocytic leukemia, multiple myeloma, and Hodgkin and non – Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Other than chemotherapy, radiotherapy, surgery, immunotherapy, and targeted therapy options, one of the new treatment option designed explicitly by the hospital is surgical radiation, wherein mini-invasive strategies such as the involvement of the urinary tract or digestive tract is used to reach out to deep-seated tumors.
- Radiofrequency, mentoplasty, gastronomy, and chemoembolization are other procedures performed here.
Address: 114 Rue Edouard Vaillant, 94800 Villejuif, France
Also Read: 10 Best Cancer Hospitals in Canada
5. The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, United Kingdom
- The Christie NHS Foundation Trust is one of Europe’s largest and most unique cancer treatment centers, offering different advanced treatment options for cancer patients at a single center.
- The hospital can treat more than 44 000 thousand patients each year, home to the world’s largest radiotherapy and chemotherapy departments.
- What’s unique with their mobile chemotherapy program for in-home treatment where you can be treated remotely and comfortably within your home.
- Some advanced treatment options available here include nuclear medicine, high–energy proton beam therapy, and innovative surgical options for treating complex and rare cancers.
- This NHS center excels in treating these rare cancers and only provides treatment for these, whereas common types of cancer, such as breast cancer, head and neck cancers, etc., which can be treated places are not taken up by their advanced team.
- So, Christie is a specialty center for cancers like penile, peritoneal surface, neuroendocrine tumors, complex melanomas, advanced ovarian, rectal, and cervical cancers, and 200 such types of cancer.
Address: Wilmslow Rd, Manchester M20 4BX, United Kingdom
Also Read: 10 Best Cancer Hospitals in Kolkata
6. Addenbrooke’s Center, Cambridge University Hospital, United Kingdom
- The Addenbrooke’s Center of Cambridge University Hospital is one of Europe’s most innovative cancer treatment centers, providing multi-disciplinary care.
- It is one of the first cancer treatment centers in Europe that has been designated as a Comprehensive Cancer Centre of Excellence by the European Academy of Cancer Sciences and one of the two best academic research centers for improving cancer patients’ clinical outcomes.
- This can be attributed to the combination of the hospital’s technologically advanced equipment and the specific knowledge of its oncologic staff.
- The hospital’s services are tailored to the patient’s individual needs and are thus regarded to be more compassionate and effective than the services offered at other centers.
- They aim to improve the quality of life of cancer patients and substantially reduce their risk of mortality by introducing newer treatment alternatives using the latest evidence.
- One novel treatment practiced at the hospital is brachytherapy treatment, wherein a low-dose radioactive material is placed inside the patient’s body cavity, gradually releasing and lysing tumor cells.
- Other options include monoclonal antibodies, targeted therapies, immunotherapy, and hormonal therapies for suppressing tumor growth.
- In addition to conventional treatment options, the hospital also provides outpatient services for cancer patients with a busy schedule and usual activities of daily living.
Address: Hills Rd, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, United Kingdom
7. Netherlands Cancer Institute, Netherlands
- Netherlands Cancer Institute was founded in the year 1913 and had since then remained at the forefront of the treatment of cancer.
- Having an experience of more than a century, the staff members of the Netherlands Cancer Institute are highly skilled in offering modern treatment options for cancer patients based on years of biomedical research.
- The hospital has independent facilities such as flow cytometry units, biotherapeutics unit, bioanalytical laboratory, electron microscope centers, biostatistical units, protein, proteomic and genomic units, and clinical research units where ounces of medical research is continually happening.
- Their laboratories can analyze millions of individual cancer cells, including their size, complexities, and treatment response based on their response to chemical dyes.
- These analytical facilities help treatment staff select individual therapy for each cancer patient, keeping their personal preferences and treatment goals in mind.
- Through these efforts, the Netherlands Institute has expanded the survival rates of 60 % of its treated patients to more than ten years, which marks a significant achievement in cancer research.
Address: Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, Netherlands
Also Read: 9 Top Cancer Hospitals In Chennai
8. John Hopkins University, Italy
- John Hopkins University has an extended and internationally – recognized record in the treatment of cancer through the use of its innovative research.
- The Italy branch of John Hopkins University is most dedicated to the treatment of cancer of the gastrointestinal tract and colorectal cancer through the involvement of a multi-disciplinary team having an international level of expertise.
- Their team has successfully treated stage 4 metastatic cancers through the insightful use of their research knowledge and has also developed ways to identify the risk of cancer recurrence in patients.
- They use immunotherapy drugs such as PD-1 inhibitors to accelerate the body’s immune response to fight against cancer.
- They also use genetic screening and testing to prevent cancer in patients with a positive history, the knowledge of which will successfully help develop a vaccine against cancer in the future.
Address: Via Beniamino Andreatta, 3, 40126 Bologna BO, Italy
9. Charité Comprehensive Cancer Center, Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
- Charité Comprehensive Cancer Center is one of the oldest cancer treatment centers in Europe, providing high–quality care to cancer patients.
- This is possible through the dedicated involvement of its multi-disciplinary staff in designing individual treatment programs for each patient.
- Along with advanced treatment technology, these plans keep the patient’s holistic, supportive, rehabilitative, psychosocial, emotional, and personal needs in mind.
- So, a team of psychologists, general practitioners, social workers, family members of the patient, a cancer support group, and general practitioners are involved in catering to each patient’s unique needs.
- At the same time, medical, radiologic, and surgical oncologists collaborate to form evidence-based treatments for each patient using high–tech options like molecular medicine.
Address: Charitépl. 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
10. Comprehensive Cancer Care Center, University of Munich, Germany
- Another Comprehensive Cancer Care Center in Europe, the center in Germany, excels in treating rare types of cancer, such as cancer of the spinal cord, leukemia, and chordoma.
- It has all the modern treatment technologies and renowned memberships, which help it emerge as one of the best cancer hospitals in Europe.
- The center involves a multi-disciplinary approach through the engagement of a medical research team and a support team involving nutritionists, psychologists, and palliative care workers to provide compassionate care to all patients.
- Being one of the few European centers recognized by the American Society of Clinical Oncology, you can only estimate the high quality of patient care provided at the center.
Address: Marchioninistraße 15, 81377 München, Germany
Also Read: 50 Best Christmas Religious Quotes
In this blog, we shared a list of the 10 best cancer hospitals in Europe. Explore this list and make the best decision for yourself after due research. Also, please don’t forget to check out the official websites of these European cancer hospitals for more information.