Just like the adjacent areas, Philadelphia has a high incidence of cancer. It has an incidence of 10.6 per 100 000 population as per the Cancer Registry Dataset for 2016.
Unless found at a very advanced stage with widespread metastasis, cancer can be efficiently treated. This requires you to know the best cancer hospitals in your area so that you can seek early treatment from the best experts.
So, here we introduce you to the top 10 cancer hospitals in Philadelphia to ease the process.
Also Read: 9 Best Cancer Hospitals in Mexico
10 Best Cancer Hospitals in Philadelphia
Also Read: 10 Best Cancer Hospitals in Canada
1. Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania
- Abramson Cancer Center is a world-class cancer care leader in Philadelphia, providing advanced treatment options such as immunotherapy and proton therapy.
- It was founded in 1973 and is the top cancer hospital in Philadelphia, designated by the National Cancer Institute as a Comprehensive Cancer Centre.
- The center provides personalized cancer treatment to patients keeping in mind their type of cancer, location, family history, and unique medicine use/allergies history.
- This is necessary to select the most – suitable treatment options for the patient that corresponds with minimal side effects.
- The diagnosis of cancer made by the center is in collaboration with the hospital’s medical team. Remote second opinions are obtained from oncologic experts throughout the US, which assures the accuracy of diagnosis.
- Some advanced surgical treatments efficiently performed at the hospital include laser surgeries, minimally invasive surgeries, robotic surgeries, reconstructive surgeries, transoral robotic surgeries, videoscopic surgeries, and plastic surgeries for tissue reconstruction after cancer treatments.
- At the Abramson center, CAR-T cell therapy, the only FDA–approved immunotherapy, was developed, which has since been used to successfully treat hundreds of cancer patients.
- The treatment staff at the hospital have a nationally–appreciated experience in cancer treatment, yet, they work closely with the patient’s family members to develop treatment protocols.
Address: 3400 Civic Centre Blvd West Pavilion, Philadelphia, PA 19104, United States
Also Read: 9 Best Cancer Hospitals in Boston
2. Cancer Treatment Centres of America, Philadelphia
- Cancer Treatment Centres of America, headquartered in Florida, is a network of 5 comprehensive cancer care and research centers offering top-notch treatment services.
- In Philadelphia, the Cancer Treatment Centres of America houses a dedicated team of oncologic experts who work together in a single setting to treat different types of cancer.
- In 2020, the hospital was honored to be listed as the country’s top patient-recommended hospital (recommended by more than 93 % of the patients). This provides insight into the patient-centric nature of treatment service.
- These experts can share their knowledge and experience, which is used to improve the quality of your care.
The coordinated care planned through these processes is specific to the patient’s needs. It has been decided based on treatment coordination and consensus-based agreements of renowned experts.
- The hospital combines cutting-edge technologies within these treatments and works based on evidence-based information and clinical trial data.
- Along with medical professionals, the team at Cancer Treatment Centres of America includes support professionals, naturopathic support providers, registered dieticians, massage therapies, and mind-body therapists who help in planning your care in a holistic manner focusing on your body and nutrition.
Address: 1331 E Wyoming Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19124, United States
Also Read: 10 Best Cancer Hospitals in Washington
3. Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals, or Jefferson Health
- The Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center is another National Cancer Institute-accredited Comprehensive Cancer Care Centre in Philadelphia that ranks nationally for its personalized care standards.
- The center has unmatched expertise in treating brain, prostate, skin, breast, lung, pancreatic, liver, head, neck, colon, and gynaecologic and hematological cancers.
- Its independent program, called Cancer Care 360, provides a complete circle of care, including research, treatment, and support of patients.
- This allows them to develop an individualized treatment for all patients considering their needs. Precision medicine for cancer and an advanced continuum of care are some of the treatment features offered by the center.
- Being a not-for-profit organization, units under Jefferson Health are genuinely dedicated to the services of the patients.
- Some of the center’s support services include group counseling sessions, one-to-one counseling, and cancer support groups.
- Besides, it provides online support and preliminary screening through online mediums.
Address: 111 S 11th St, Philadelphia, PA 19107, United States
Also Read: 10 Best Cancer Hospitals in Texas
4. Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Fox Chase Cancer Center is undoubtedly one of Philadelphia’s best cancer treatment hospitals. That is one of the initial centers to be accredited, the Comprehensive Cancer Centre by the NCI back in 1974, and a not-for-profit organization.
- It has a large staff size of over 2 000 medical professionals dedicated to patient care and research to emerge as a pioneer in cancer prevention.
- Their team researches along the lines of prognostic biomarkers and therapeutic medicine to prolong the life spans of cancer patients as well as improve their quality of life.
- The center is said to serve the most-accepted centers of treatment quality while being engaged in a preclinical drug development program to PREVENT for cancer prevention.
- The knowledge of the treating staff at Fox Chase is phenomenal, having received Nobel Prize for their research efforts. They led to the most initial discoveries in liver cancer, where hepatitis B was found to be a significant cause. This knowledge is used by international medical professionals today to prevent liver cancer in high-risk populations.
- The unique and excellent treatment plans designed at the hospital are based on these research insights, including their knowledge of cancer genetics.
- They use state-of-the-art treatment equipment and devise treatment based on clinical trials and transformation and tumorigenic processes of the patient.
- This helps them to choose different treatments based on the type of tumor, levels of tissue inflammation, the impact of solid tumor growth on the body, and its effects on immunity.
- Overall, their tailored treatment programs, particularly immunotherapy regimens, have assisted in reducing mortality and morbidity among cancer patients in the US.
Address: 333 Cottman Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19111, United States
Also Read: 50 Quotes From Experts About Smoking
5. Helen F Graham Cancer Center, Christiana Care Hospitals
- Helen F Graham Cancer Center provides outpatient cancer treatment services through the involvement of multi – a disciplinary team of oncologic experts.
- They support the patient through all steps of their management, beginning at diagnosis and continuing after their treatment to survivorship.
- At Helen Graham Centre, one of the most technologically advanced treatment options, including using a Cyberknife and Da Vinci surgical system for robot-assisted surgeries, is provided.
- Although the center excels at treating different types of cancer, its Breast Cancer Outreach and Awareness program is considered extraordinary.
- Other programs at the hospital include a colon cancer awareness program and programs for prostate, skin, lung, cervical, and colorectal cancer.
Address: 2401 Philadelphia Pike, Claymont, DE 19703, United States
Also Read: 10 Best Cancer Hospitals in Germany
6. Lankenau Medical Cancer Center
- Lankenau Medical Cancer Center is part of Main Line Health networks dedicated to curating personalized patient treatments.
- The center engages in several clinical trials for the provision of the most advanced treatment options to the patients, such as:
- Cryosurgery for cancer patients
- External Radiation Therapy
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Laparoscopy-assisted Surgeries
- Robotic Radical Cystectomy
- Robotic Reconstructive Surgeries
- Minimally – invasive Surgeries
- Robotic Thymectomy
- Radiofrequency Ablation
- Nuclear Medicine
- Photodynamic treatment for cancer
- These are used for designing treatment protocols for different types of cancer, making Lankenau one of the most technologically – advanced cancer treatment hospitals in Philadelphia.
Address: 100 E Lancaster Ave, Wynnewood, PA 19096, United States
Also Read: 10 Best Cancer Hospitals in Florida
7. Center for Radiation Oncology, Byrn Mawr Hospital
- Bryn Mawr Hospital is primarily a Radiation Oncology center equipped with state-of-the-art technologies.
- It treats lung, head, and neck cancers, sarcoma, lymphoma, and leukemia.
- The advanced radiotherapy options available at the center include:
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy using the VARIAN Edge radiosurgery system
- Localized radiation treatment
- The center uses DNA sequencing and liquid biopsy procedures to assess the tumor’s molecular profiling before deciding the course of the patient’s treatment.
Address: 801 County Line Rd, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010, United States
Also Read: 10 Best Cancer Hospitals in Europe
8. Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is one of the few cancer treatment centers in Philadelphia solely dedicated to treating pediatric cancer cases in neonates, children, and adolescents.
- It has a team of internationally – recognized pediatric oncologists who employ a multi-disciplinary approach.
- This ensures that the patients receive the best – possible care. At the same time, the hospital assures that a particular patient sees only one primary physician at most times, considering the sensitive needs of child patients.
- Their treatment model involves selecting the most suitable treatment in compliance with clinical trial data, which provides insight into high-quality care standards followed at the hospital.
- Their areas of expertise cover
- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia
- Acute Myelogenous Leukaemia
- Brain Tumours in children
- Central Nervous System (CNS) Germ Cell Tumors
- Chronic Myelogenous Leukaemia
- Differentiated Thyroid Cancer in children
- Ewing Sarcoma
- Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Juvenile Myelomonocytic Leukemia (JMML)
- Medullary Thyroid Cancer
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Skin Cancer in Children
- Soft Tissue Sarcomas
- Wilms’ Tumor
Address: 3401 Civic Center Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104, United States
Also Read: 50 Best Inspirational Fighting Cancer Quotes
9. GI Cancer Center, Cancer Treatment Centers of America
- A notable part of the Cancer Treatment Centers of America, the GI Cancer Center, deserves some extra attention, be it at the end of this list.
- The center is understandably dedicated to treating gastrointestinal cancers, using state-of-the-art treatments and the involvement of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Their medical team comprises medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, surgical oncologists, gastroenterologists, and precision medicine experts who design novel patient treatment protocols.
- Some of these novel techniques include a surgical method called irreversible electroporation for treating pancreatic cancers that cannot be surgically operated on.
- Endoscopic mucosal resection, radiofrequency ablation, fine needle biopsy, and endoscopic ultrasounds are adopted for smaller tumors.
- All these procedures aim to lyse the tumorous tissue without causing any damage to your health issue so that no side effects are faced.
- Along with pancreatic cancer, other gastrointestinal cancers like oesophageal cancer, bile duct cancer, gastric cancer, liver cancer, and colon cancer are eminently treated at the center with the help of chemotherapy, radiotherapy, surgery, targeted therapy, and immunotherapy.
- They also involve supportive care clinicians and the patient’s family members in adopting a patient-centric approach to cancer treatment.
Address: 1331 E Wyoming Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19124, United States
Also Read: 10 Best Cancer Hospitals in California
10. St. Mary’s Medical Center
- Although not a renowned cancer treatment center, St. Mary’s Medical Centre also offers cancer screening, prevention, and treatment facilities.
- If you stay around Langhorne, you can probably visit the center for a preliminary approach and care before obtaining second opinions from advanced cancer treatment options listed above.
- Some of the services provided at St. Mary’s include:
- Digital mammography
- Filmless Ultrasonography
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Ultra-fast CT Scans
- They also have a team of oncologists, nutritionists, social workers, pain management specialists, and therapists who can help you alongside your treatment.
Address: 1201 Langhorne-Newtown Road, Langhorne, PA 19047, United States
Digital Marketer who loves motivational and inspirational quotes. While not working, I do a bit of gaming and spend time on Edx to enhance my skills!